Academy Park was once the home of the Minden Male Academy. Built in 1850 with funds and on land donated by civic leader W.A. Drake, it was one of two schools created from the Minden Academy that had been established in 1838. In 1852, an additional 80 acres were donated by civic leaders completing the campus. Students in all grades were accepted. Minden civic leaders and several U.S. Congressmen received primary education at this institution. Closed in 1898 with the opening of the local public school system.